Iowa State Parks now require non-Iowa residents to pay a vehicle entrance fee for Lake Manawa and Waubonsie state parks. This is NOT the standard Iowa State Park permit. If your vehicle has an Iowa license plate, you do not require a permit.
The permit requirement DOES apply to LMSA Members and those visiting the Lake Manawa Sailing Association (LMSA). Requirement also applies to motorcycles.
The Iowa State Park sells the permits and is responsible for enforcement. LMSA does NOT sell permits and is not involved in enforcement. The information provided below is for the convenience of those using the LMSA facility. Please see the Iowa DNR webpage for full details.
Option 1 – Annual Permit
- The annual permit is good for 1 year from the date of purchase.
- Permit is good for both Lake Manawa and Waubonsie State Parks.
- Permit should be placed in the lower left corner of the the driver’s side windshield (inside) by its own adhesive.
- Purchase permit at Lake Manawa State Park Office
- Annual permit is $40 if purchased from the park office.
- A second vehicle permit may be purchased for an additional $15.
- You must provide the license plate number(s) when purchasing the permits, so be sure to bring the plate number if purchasing a second permit.
- Only cash and checks accepted (no credit cards).
- Lake Manawa State Park Office is located at 1100 S Shore Dr, Council Bluffs, IA 51501
- Office hours are generally 8am to 4pm, but recommend you call before driving over: 712-366-0220.
- Purchase permit online
- Annual permit is available for online purchase with an additional $4 convenience fee (total of $44).
- When purchasing online, there is NO option for the discounted second vehicle permit. That is only available if purchasing from the park office.
- Online purchase requires you have or create an Iowa State Park website account.
- You may purchase the permit at the Iowa State Park Non-Resident Permits page.
Option 2 – Daily Fee
- A $5 daily permit is available at a self-registration kiosk.
- Cash or check only.
- Daily vehicle permits are valid for the date of issue.
- Daily permits must be displayed on the dash of the vehicle on the driver’s side where it can be seen.
- There are five self registration kiosks at Lake Manawa.
- To purchase daily parking permit at LMSA (812 Comanche Street, Council Bluffs, IA).
- Enter LMSA through the blue gate.
- Drive until you see the ‘Stop – Pay Here’ sign on your right.
- Payment envelops are available in the box on the yellow post.
- Follow directions on sign.
- The kiosk is run by the State Park. If there are no payment envelopes, please call the Lake Manawa State Park office: 712-366-0220.